Tuesday, November 13, 2012
By Carla Hill

Homeowners looking to add value to their home should start in one of the most central rooms of the home -- the bathroom.

According to C.P. Hart, one of the UK's leading contemporary bathroom retailers and suppliers of bespoke bathrooms since 1937, a great bathroom can add real value to your property.

HouseLogic, supported by the National Association of Realtors (NAR), reports that the top bathroom trends can even be real money savers.

First, take note of energy conservation. Low-flow toilets can use a fraction of the amount of water of standard versions. Low-flow shower heads and faucets can also conserve water, a prime consideration for homeowners all across the drought-ridden Midwest and beyond.

The next trend will tug at the heart of every tech geek. HouseLogic reports it's all about technological advances. "You'll be able to create a custom showering experience more affordably than ever. For $300 for simple controllers to $3,500 or more for a complete luxury installation, programmable let you digitally set your preferred water temperature, volume, and even massage settings before you step in. To achieve a personalized showering experience, you'll need a 120-volt power source, and a thermostatic valve and controller in addition to your standard shower head or heads. Luxury models may include a steam system, a wi-fi source for music, multiple body spray outlets, tankless water heater, and a secondary controller to start the system from another room."

Take it a step further with docking stations for your iPod and integrated television screens in your mirrors!

C.P. Hart say it goes beyond saving energy and geeking out, however. Bathrooms can have focal points and finishes that can be real show stoppers. "Fittings and accessories should never be ignored when furnishing your washroom. A key piece, such as a basin, can really enliven the look and bring a touch of luxury to any space. Glass Design create bespoke washbowls that are a great example of cutting-edge design meets decadence. Each piece is uniquely designed, using materials that capture the soul of the product, adding a new lease of life to your abode."

Today's bathroom designs are about clean lines and organized beauty. Less is more, letting the eye fall on the room's shining stars, such as travertine floors, marble sinks, and beautiful faucets.

It's time to go minimalist. "Enhancing your bathroom's shape and size through discrete storage, each piece is custom-made, maximizing surface space through multi-storage units. With a range of styles, colors and sizes to choose from, you won't be short of ideas to match existing bathroom features," C.P. Hart says.

Consider a beautiful freestanding tub, reminiscent of the claw-footed examples from yesteryear. There are a wide range of shapes and styles available from many large retailers. These baths can become the focal point of any space. "From traditional Victorian to industrial-inspired designs and Japanese influences, there is a great range of inspiring pieces to choose from," says C.P. Hart.

Finally, think about future use of a bathroom. There's an aging demographic of baby boomers in the United States that is trending bathrooms towards future functionality. HouseLogic reports, "Expect to see faux wood, linen, and uniquely-textured looks for tiled bathroom floors and walls in 2012. The texture adds both visual impact and better traction for wet feet."

And let's not forget accessible tubs. "The accessible tub is no longer limited to the high-walled, narrow-door format that dominated the market in the last decade. Newer models, such as Kohler's Elevance ($5,100), employ rising panels in front that give more of a traditional tub look with easier entry and exit. Others use standard hinged, sealed doors, but are increasing door width by several inches for better accessibility and appearance."

Today's bathroom trends are about modern functionality. Go green and clean.

Published: November 12, 2012

Comments: 10
November 10, 2013 4:11 PM
Sabrina says:
Thanx for the comments. I'll Add some other diesgns and new topics.yew would like it. i'll add some interior.would u please specify that what kinda interior u require? specifically for which kind of enviornment?
November 10, 2013 1:20 PM
Orhan says:
I love that all-white look as well. My bathroom has white walls, but the foorls are a blonde bamboo and the counters are gray. So, I put down 2 fluffy white bath mats, hung up thick white spa towels, white hand towels, and set a stack of white washcloths out. I also set my white q-tips & cotton swabs in clear containers so the white shows through. its really brightened up the room! I'm working on a white robe and slippers.
November 10, 2013 12:02 AM
Nikhil says:
pretty cool and looks like lots of fun!@ Tammi, I just ordered seavrel samples. They have a special on samples this month. You can order as many as you want for just a $3 shipping fee.
November 10, 2013 10:30 AM
Open says:
I plan to use one in our master bhrtaoom only!. I want our master bhrtaoom to be set apart from the others. Have not tried yet, must wait for closing! lol I think they add character to the bhrtaooms.
November 10, 2013 8:47 AM
Villa says:
Isn't it crazy how much better WE has goettn over the last couple of years? Before it was a bit of a yawn, but now I love everything. And I swear it's goettn even more affordable. OK, now to sop sounding like I work for them.
January 25, 2013 9:38 PM
Alum says:
I really like that slate pity they used a stark white toeilt, sink, and cabinet and a grey speckled shower base in there. No attempt was made to make the rest of the bathroom support the slate it's stuck there like an anchovy on apple pie.****************HEATHER, and any other bloggers or website owners speaking of colour, black text on a dark grey background and medium grey-green text on dark grey is a less than optimal choice. On my desktop monitor it's barely readable. On my laptop it's a dark blur, and on my Android it's a dark blob. is an add-on for Firefox that lets you check the text areas for contrast between text and background to see if your design is within shouting distance of the accessibility standards.
January 25, 2013 9:06 PM
Sara says:
White bathrooms are not for me. My two fatvoire bathrooms I've seen recently used Italian porcelain tile on the walls. One of them looks like Corten rusted steel and is done in large horizontal tiles with the mirror also a horizontal one fitting in with the tiles. The second one I love has Italian porcelain tile that looks like deep wenge color wood planks. Both absolutely gorgeous! But then I like super modern and lean to industrial as well. But if you love white bathrooms and are going to rent this home I think you still have to keep looking. It will always bug you just like the brick fireplace that hit you between the eyes at your current place and you won't be able to do anything about it. I just know you're going to find a wonderful spot! Keep looking Maria!
January 25, 2013 5:19 PM
Antonio says:
While I agree that white definitely looks clenaer in a bathroom, it can also look boring and, well, samey. My uncle went the slate route a few years ago grey slate for his kitchen floors and black for his bathroom floor. It works well in his kitchen because it contrasts nicely with his white walls and near-minamlist style. In his bathroom they used black slate for the floor and the shower walls. It really gives the shower area a sense of being separate from the rest of the bathroom, which I've always liked. Admittedly, their bathroom is all white, very big they have a claw foot tub! and has two windows which let in a lot of light, so the slate doesn't overpower the room.I think that slate, like so much else in design, can look good anywhere, when it's well thought out and part of a coherent look.
January 25, 2013 5:02 PM
Chrisiinha says:
Marie, You know I know next to nothing about dinroatecg..so as a total amateur, all I can say is how these bathrooms make me 'feel'. The first bathroom feels grungy to me..not appealing. It makes me think 70's. The second one is very interesting! I like the natural tones and surfaces..but it's a bit too modern for me. It seems a little cramped too. The third one, all white, seems just a tad bit sterile although it is very pretty. But I'm sort of tired of getting stuck with white and after 22 years of renting..that is really tired! Ha! However,like Goldlocks and the Three bears, I have to say that the last bathroom is 'just right'! Of course, it may be that I'm partial to that green. But it seems like that design combines a little bit of color for some pizazz but keeps the nice fresh look of the white too. The best of both worlds! Now I have some ideas for how to work on our bathroom this summer! Thanks!
January 25, 2013 11:29 AM
Daulet says:
I agree wholeheartedly! More than any other space in the house, I want a batroohm to be CLEAN and relatively simple. Modern even, and I'm NOT a modern person. I'm also a person who has a really hard time waking up, so my batroohm needs to be as bright as possible. To me, all of that equals WHITE (or off-white, maybe). I'm not a big fan of slate in most applications either. It's beautiful, but I feel like it's a little hard to work with in terms of a color scheme, and usually that scheme ends up being too dark for my tastes.Lastly, I think there's another good reason to have porcelain tile in a batroohm vs. a natural stone: who wants to mess with having to seal a natural stone?We're going to be putting in a new batroohm within a few months and I'm envisioning a grayish-brown porcelain tile floor (12 24 maybe)and white walls with some kind of accent tile. I've been noticing that some of the big TV designers keep mentioning that they like the horizontal surfaces in a kitchen or batroohm to coordinate, so if they use a light floor, they use a light counter, etc. Is that a theory you also subscribe to?